Outbuildings, Landscape, and Grounds
Built by William Faulkner on a foundation from an 1840s structure, the servants’ quarters was the first home of beloved Falkner family caretaker Caroline Barr (“Mammy Callie”). She lived in the house from 1930 to 1940, when she died at the age of 100. Later it became the home of Andrew and Chrissy Price, Faulkner’s groom and Estelle’s housekeeper, respectively. The Prices’ son, John, lived there until the mid-1980s.
POST OAK BARN
The barn was built in the early 1840s and was used as a log cabin while the house was being built. Faulkner used it to house his milk cow and lawn tools. The barn was completely dismantled and restored in the early 1990s. The restoration team was able to reuse 97 percent of the original timbers.
CONCENTRIC CIRCLE GARDEN
This early antebellum garden in the front of the house was originally a maze garden, with a circle of cedars at its perimeter. Inside the circle of cedars are raised brick beds, which contain sweet shrub and privet hedges. In the center was a magnolia tree. During Reconstruction, the garden was abandoned, and as a result, several volunteer trees grew among the brick beds, shading out the hedges. Faulkner liked the Gothic nature of the garden and left it in that condition. He told that the ghostly Judith Sheegog threatened to haunt the house if he “messed” with her garden.